Saturday, February 27, 2010

Rosy Has Braces

Rosy showing off her new braces and Ana

Rosy has some of the worst looking teeth I have ever seen. They are stacked on top of each other and behind each other and crowded in every direction. In the states, we are accustomed to seeing almost every young person with braces. But that is not the case in Honduras. No matter how badly needed, not many people have braces here and we certainly never thought that any of our kids at Casa would be wearing them.


There is a dentist that is seeing and treating our children for free. Never in our wildest imaginations, did we think she would provide braces for free. But she did.


Today Rosy had the appointment to get braces put on. I walked in a few minutes before 8:00 and she was still in her pajamas and holding a set of play clothes. All I said was "rapido" and she put herself in high gear. She was so happy and was telling everyone she was getting braces. We drove to town and she jumped out of the car and went running into the dentist's office. I had never been there before and I wasn't sure the office was. Not that I like her running off like that anyway.


Rosy is a naturally curios child and she was wanting to see everything the dentist was doing. At first, the dentist let her sit up and look at things, but if she continued to do that, it might have taken all day. The dentist made a motion to sit and she did not try to look again.


As the brackets were being put on, there was still happiness in Rosy's eyes, but as the dentist began to thread the wire through the brackets, Rosy was squirming quite a bit. That did not feel quite as good. She did not cry, but I recognized that she was uncomfortable by the look of terror on her face.


As I was talking with the dentist about care and such, Rosy was busy smiling in the mirror. When we got home, she wanted to show some people and wanted to act shy with others.


Since I had braces as an adult, I was not surprised, when tonight, everything was hurting and it was hard to go to sleep. But in a few months, or however long it takes, Rosy will have an even more beautiful smile than she already does.


Terri

2 comments:

Ginger said...

what a difference braces will make in her appearance later on down the road...wish I had been given the same opportunity as a kid to get free ones...thus the buck teeth still. I wasn't as brave as you are terri once I got older. I chose to put 4 daughters in braces however and have never regretted putting them before me.

Anonymous said...

I am glad that the dentist is helping in this way. That is fantastic. Lanetta