Friday, July 10, 2009

St. Francisville




I am kind of a nerd. I love history. Especially the history of the grand old south. I know it has been romanticized in movies and novels, but I still love it, to read about it and to see it up close and personal. Matt and Nicole wanted to take me to St. Francisville to see some of the old plantation homes.


St. Francisville is about forty five minutes from Baton Rouge. We left around 11:00, planning to do lunch as soon as we arrived. We had heard rave reviews of the Magnolia Cafe, so that was our choice for lunch. A charming little place with much the same atmosphere of Proffitt's Porch in Columbus served burgers and sandwiches and some fine southern cuisine and desserts. We opted for crawfish and corn chowder. It was delicious.


We went to the visitor's center/museum and got the maps we needed. Matt drove to two of the three old churches. I took pictures while Matt and Nicole waited in the car with the air conditioner running. The churches were beautiful and I hope to see the inside of both churches some day. The grounds of the Episcopal church were also beautiful. The ancient oak trees draped in spanish moss make a beautiful setting and are so Louisiana.

We then drove to some of the plantations and I took pictures of some of the houses. Again, the houses and the grounds were beautiful. We chose two or three that we hope to tour in the future.


I enjoyed spending the day with Matt and Nicole and appreciated the fact that they wanted to do something they knew I would like when it was so hot, but today I think we will stay in out of the heat.


Terri


1 comment:

Ginger said...

Terri,
You make me long for Louisiana.

Living in Zachary all my childhood I was able to visit St. Francisville many times. It is a beautiful place to spend a day and have lunch.

I am only a few hours away here in Columbus, MS You keep talking about Louisiana and I am likely to jump in the car and visit your new grandchild when she is born.

What hospital will Nicole have the baby? I would imagine Woman's Hospital or Lady of the Lake but more likely Woman's.

love, ginger