Sunday, July 5, 2009

First Few Days of Baton Rouge

I am having a grand time while waiting the baby's arrival. I have already had crawfish. Been to Sonic and Target. Eaten bacon. Matt and Nicole are treating me like an honored guest.

Last night, we went to the levee and watched fireworks. I love the Mississippi River and I love fireworks. We went early and found a good place to sit. Matt and Nicole had a snowball. There was a band playing. When that one finished, another band started. The second band played a lot of patriotic and march music. I was loving every minute of it. A men's chorus sang "God Bless America." My heart swelled with pride. I love the fourth of July celebrations. I have been by myself the last two years on the fourth. It was wonderful to be with part of my family, celebrating the independence of this great country. Perhaps, a bit more wonderful given the current events in Honduras.

This morning we went to church. Matt and Nicole's church has one of the largest Chinese ministries in the country. Today was China Sunday, celebrating 22 years of this ministry. About one third of the congregation was Chinese people that formerly went to church there or still do.
Over the years, over 200 Chinese people have been baptized because of this ministry. Many have gone on to reach out to friends and family in China. Four different men spoke about their faith in God. All have PhD's from LSU, are very intelligent and very passionate about their faith.
Most live in different parts of the country and returned to Baton Rouge for this weekend. They are continuing to share their passion of their faith in the place in which they now live. One man is returning to China with his family to preach the gospel. It was a very meaningful service. At the end of the service, four Chinese students were baptized. Praise God.

While I am having a grand ol' time here in hot, humid Baton Rouge, we returned home from church to learn that the Tegucigalpa airport is closed, many of the roads around the airport are barricaded. Military and police are carrying riot shields as riots are anticipated if the former president enters the country. He is flying in a Citgo plane, owned by Hugo Chavez and the Venezuelan government. The former president is now expected to land in San Salvador. I don't know what will happen.

I am glad I am in Baton Rouge.and that all of our team got our safely. Marc and the children are still safe. We have every reason to think they will remain safe. Please keep crying out to God on behalf of Honduras. There needs to be a quick and peaceful resolution to this.

Terri

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As I told Marc today, I am crying out to God on behalf of him, the children, the Waldron family in Santa Rosa, and the precious people of Honduras.

Terri, may God clothe YOU with His peace & joy as you wait for the blessed arrival of your grandchild AND resolution to the situation in the most beloved country of Honduras!

Blessings to you, my sister--

Sherry Hubright