Wednesday, July 1, 2009

The Honduran Situation

I live in a third world country and my internet regularly goes out. Like every time it rains. It rains every afternoon. It usually comes back on at 8:00 the next morning. It went out yesterday and came back on just a few minutes ago. And it is raining again. I hate being without communication during this time, but I have no choice.

The former president was supposed to come back into the country tomorrow and he would be arrested. We have half of our group leaving tomorrow and I am leaving tomorrow. We are working on getting everyone out of here. It was announced today that the former president would return Friday, Saturday, or Sunday. A surprise visit. This has the potential to keep things stirred up a few more days.

By far, more than a majority of people are supporting this new administration and against the old one. It is the same party. It is the former president's vice-president. This was not a coup. It was similar to our impeachment.

We have heard this new president has already sent aid to the earthquake victims of last month, where none had been sent by the former president.

Even though the people want this and want to be free of the yoke of Venezuela, does not mean all the trouble and tensions are over. We don't know what will happen and need your continued prayers.

In Santa Ana, we are still safe and have every reason to believe, we will stay that way. Dorian got to town and bought groceries for the children's home for the next month and the meat delivery came today. That is good. Our children will be fed.

I am talking to the airline and other people daily about the groups still scheduled to come. They are working to help us. I will let my group leaders know something, when I know something. No refunds are being issued yet for dates beyond July 10. It may be a day by day thing, similar to the way it was last summer when the airport was closed.

As long as my internet holds, I will try to post as I know something. I will be answering all of my emails, one by one, also if my internet holds.

We appreciate your prayers and support.

Terri

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so glad you are leaving tomorrow! I keep thinking about Nicole having that baby before you can get there! Ya'll are constantly in our prayers.

Love ,
Linda w

Anonymous said...

Praying you will have a safe trip. jl