Friday, June 26, 2009

Visitation

Today was that monthly trip to town for visitation with the kids' moms. Only four were going: Cindy, Maryuri, Brayan, and Jackson. I had planned to take the kids. Yesterday, we found out Maryuri had to go to Teleton at 1:00. That did not conflict with visitation, we just had to shift a few things.

I was still going to take them to visitation. I decided I would feed them at Wendy's and then get on over to Teleton. That was workable.

The kids were all dressed up to go see their moms and were waiting by the car as I took care of details for the day. I needed to talk to Dilcia about deliveries and leave money. First one thing and then another.

Finally, we were rolling through the gate. All four were so excited. They began to sing. Some songs in spanish, some in english. Their little voices are so sweet as they sing praises to God. They try so hard to say the english songs correctly.

We got to Casitas and Brayan's mom was waiting. Cindy and Maryuri's showed up almost immediately. By 10:30, Jackson was getting a little nervous. His mom came just a few minutes later. All four were fed more food than they should eat.

At 12:00, we left. I was thinking, "what am I thinking?" I have never taken four of them in somewhere by myself. Just as we got to Wendy's, Maryuri started crying for her mom. I carried her in and tried to console her. As we walked in, most tables were full and I scanned the room for a table at which we could all sit.

I sat them down and said wait here. Brayan said we will. I gave them no choice of what to eat. I ordered 4 chicken nuggets child's meal with cokes. I got my food and had 3 orders of their fries and 2 orders of nuggets. They said they would bring the rest of my food to the table.

Brayan was so sweet. He made sure the girls got the chicken nuggets and that everyone else got the fries. I knew I was not going to eat all my fries, so I shared with Brayan until his came. The nuggets came and not the fries. We were on a fairly tight schedule and I knew I could never explain that anyway, so I let it go. The kids had eaten so much, no one was really hungry. Everyone had plenty of fries and no one but Brayan cared for the nuggets. He ate them all. Every single one of them. He was quite proud of himself.

We rushed over to Teleton with the promise of not to spill the drinks in the car. I usually do not let them have drinks in the car. They were good to their word. Not a single dropped was spilled.

I was hoping they would let me in Teleton with that many extra kids. We got in without a problem. Maryuri went to class and the other three, played in one of the grassy areas. They ran and played and chased each other, laughing all the while. They ran so hard and were so hot, that they needed to sit down and cool off for a bit.

We had a pleasant drive home. Much more subdued than the one down. Cindy, Maryuri and Jackson had missed their naps and were tired.

I am loving the opportunities I have to spend more time with the children and get to know them better. And sometimes just laugh and have fun with them.

Terri

1 comment:

Nikki Spradling said...

Precious! I miss those babies soooo much and I miss you guys too. I'm trying to figure out how to get down there for thanksgiving. I miss you guys and have been praying for you and will continue to do so. Love you!
In Him, Nikki Spradling