Tuesday, June 9, 2009

A Meeting With The Mayor

This afternoon Marc had a meeting with the mayor of Tegucigalpa. I am not usually involved in these kinds of things. But since Tuesday is my day off from Casa de Esperanza, I was in town with Marc. I had no idea for what purpose this meeting had been called. I soon realized I was glad it was my day off and I just happened to be along for the ride.

The city has identified 3000 families that are living in such poverty that it is unsafe. In addition, to the poverty they are living in areas of high probability of landslides when the heavy rains start in the fall. For the time being, the city has priotized 3 areas that have the highest need. This involves about 500 families. They want to find property in more suitable area and relocate the people. They can find the property, but the city does not have the money nor the manpower to construct new houses. They were asking TORCH Missions to help with this project. Beginning June 29, we made a commitment for 20 houses. These houses will all be constructed in Nueva Oriental/ Mirador Oriente, a community in which we already work.

I don't know how long this project will take, but I am glad TORCH gets to be a part of it.

Terri

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is fantastic!

Linda

Anonymous said...

Praise God for Torch Missions, and Praise God for the commitment to build houses for those that, so desperately, need a house. I know, much will be done with the Torch Teams this summer, and ALL to God's Glory.
Love you all!
Sue

Ginger said...

I pray that God's hand is in this project and at least the mayor sees the need to get some sincere folks like yourself to continue to help the poor. May God's will be done. I know you are serving for God to do all you can every day that you wake up. Making a difference building one torch house at a time until you get 20 done and then progressing on to see what you can do to help 3,000
families that risk every day of their lives living in poverty that they seem to have no choice in until now.
You are willing to work so hard to help in these needs.
I honestly pray for you to stay strong and not be discouraged daily.

Anonymous said...

Amazing!!!!

jl