Friday, June 5, 2009

Outraged

There are some things to which my Americanized, computerized mind will never adjust.

We provide health insurance for our employees. We wanted to do that, but it is a law and we have no choice. I have no problem with providing health insurance for employees. But the system works me up every month. What happened this week was worse than most.

Every single month, someone hand delivers our paper work to the front gate. This usually happens on or around the 10th of the month. I have to take the paperwork and go stand in line at the bank and pay our health insurance. I have to pay in cash and it has to be done before the 19th. We then have to take our paid receipt and go to the insurance office and stand in another long line to get our employees' green cards. This usually can't be done until after the 26th of each month. Sometimes later. That office is a long way from Santa Ana. The green cards are hardly ever ready when we go, thus, forcing a return trip. Imagine every employer doing this every month.

In May, we went FOUR times before we got the green cards. It was May 17 and they expired May 31. Our employees cannot see a doctor without their green cards.

We had a group here and I was sick and we did not even get down to try to get the green cards. They are never ready on time anyway. One of our employees, Reina, had to take two sick children and herself to the doctor. One of the kids had dinghey, was very sick and needed to be treated. Of course, the employees have to wait in long lines as well. Reina was called out. Her green card taken and xed all over with a black pen and told she could leave. Since she had an expired green card that meant she had not paid for June. Of course, she was humiliated and upset. Who would not have been?

I felt awful when I heard this. We should have tried harder to get those green cards.

I had already put getting those green cards on Marc's list for yesterday. Even before I heard what happened to Reina. I was outraged when Marc called and said he had been to the office once and the cards weren't ready. Yesterday was June 4. I had paid the bill before the 19th. In fact, I made a special trip to town to do it before the 19th. Marc had to wait around and do other stuff and return to that office yesterday afternoon and finally got home after 7:00 last night. Oh yes! He had green cards in hand. I was so upset about those green cards Marc might have tried to print them himself rather than return without them. Uhmmm. I wonder if he did print them himself.

Terri

1 comment:

Ginger said...

It certainly makes me appreciate living in the good ol USA where there is lots of red tape but lots better than your situation you describe. Quite right, it would make anyone angry.
Thank you for being willing to go through this when most people would run back to the USA where things are better.
I plan to write an email when things slow down here.