Saturday, June 13, 2009

Buckets of Bucks




In Honduras, or at least in Tegucigalpa, approved organizations can raise money by walking busy intersections with a five gallon water botter in the hands of volunteers. A volunteer has to walk up to the car while the light is red. Guess what Manos Felices, Rosy's school, did today? Walked the street raising money? Guess who were the volunteers were for this project? Marc and I and three of the kids, Brayan, Fitto, and Linda. The kids wanted to go with us.


We left here at 6:00, which is way too early on Saturday morning. Marc stopped at Dunkin Donuts on the way. That always helps. We got to Manos Felices and waited our assignment. When we got our empty water bottles, we had the area in front of the U. S. embassy. Otherwise known as Wendy's Texaco. We were excited about our assignment as there are several Torch groups here, all staying at the mission house. We thought they would be coming through that way and we would get a lot of bucks.


When we got there, Marc decided to put Brayan and Fitto together, he and Linda together and me by mself. I wasn't very happy with that decision. At first. I could see Fitto and Brayan the whole time. In the beginning, they wanted to run over and show me everytime they got money.

They quickly learned how to approach the cars when the light was red and stay out of the street when the light was green. The employees at the Wendy's Texaco took a liking to them and let them approach the cars that were buying gas.


A lady selling newspapers wanted Linda to be with her. Marc work the fourth part of the intersection where he could see Linda the whole time.


Marc took good care, making sure we all plenty of water.


My first walk through I did not get a single donation. I was sure it was going to be a long morning. After a couple of times, I gained my confidence and was approaching each car with a smile. After all, I do believe in Manos Felices and what they are doing for Rosy is amazing. Hondurans are very generous. I saw many families with five or six children in barely-running, beat up old cars pull out a limpira and stick in the bucket. Some would hand it to one of the children to give. By far, the taxi drivers were the most generous. That has certainly changed my attitude about them.


The road is full of pot holes and other uneven surfaces. I managed to step in one and fall. Now that would have been the picture. A middle-aged gringa in the middle of the road with a water bottle. Marc said you mean no one helped you. I said I jumped up so fast, I didn't give any one time to help me. I walked until the light turned green before I even looked down. I got over to the side of the road and saw my last pair of jeans is minus the knee and my knee was badly scraped. And hurt, but not bleeding badly. Yay for the stupid kid. I will be at Nicole's in a little over three weeks and will have new jeans then.


We started walking at 8:30. At 10:00 I wasn't sure I could make it until 1:00. At 11:00, I was over half way, but two hours still looked a long way to go. Shortly after that one of the people from Manos Felices came by and told us to come back at 12:00. Best news I had ever heard.


I did see one of the Torch buses. I went running down the street, passing other vehicles. Marlon was driving and was stopped at the light. I jumped on that bus said help me with money, told what we were doing. Marlon was telling everyone to send their money up. They were on their way to the dump and had no money. Mark Connell came driving by and gave a nice donation.


A few times, I got left out in the center of the street when the light turned green and could not get back to the edge. I did not like that. Lots of people were gracious. Some said thanks for what we were doing. A few were rude. I was being very careful and still nearly got hit a couple of times and propositioned once.


One story was especially touching to me. I was in the middle of two lanes of traffic, working both lanes at the same time. One car rolled down the window, which always meant a donation was on its way. An elderly man sat in the passenger seat and, perhaps, his son in the driver's seat. I said buenos dias as both men reached for their wallets. The elderly man said he could not hear me. That he was deaf and wanted to help the children that were also deaf. I nearly cried as I smiled a bigger smile and said muchas gracias.


When it was time to quit, I was ready. I got back over to the Wendy's Texaco. All five of us sat our bottles down side by side. The bills came higher in the bottles on mine and Linda's. Way to go girls. That doesn't mean we really raised more. The bills might be bigger in some of the others. I don't think so, but maybe.


Marc bought us all a gatorade. And we headed back to the school. We all agreed it was very hard work, harder than we expected. But the kids said for donuts and gatorade they would not mind doing it again.


Lunch was to be served at the school. We got back and found lunch was not going to be served until 2:00. No way could our kids wait that long. So we went to McDonald's. There were certainly three smiling faces.


I know one thing for sure. I will always have some small bills with me and never ever pass another group that has bottles trying to raise money.




Terri

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh My! Thank the Lord you all made it safe! Sorry about your fall, your scraped knee and your torn jeans. How brave you are! After being in traffic in Honduras, I like the protection of as much metal on each side of me as possible. Sounds like you all had a tiring, but great day, and such a wonderful cause. You made Rosy proud I am sure, and I know the kiddoes learned a lot from being able to help others. Hope you can get some R&R.
Love you!
Sue

Anonymous said...

Terri, dear, you never cease to amaze me with your true Texas grit and determination! Even if it meant a skinned knee and getting caught in the middle of crazy traffic, you never lost your focus and your great sense of humor! By the way, how much money did you all raise in your great effort?