Monday, May 26, 2008

Spanish Mondays

Since the AIMers arrived last week, and they don't know much spanish either, Marc decided to have spanish Mondays, meaning we have to speak only spanish to each other. At 5:45 this morning I asked Marc something about the computer. I had not had any coffee and I don't think I would have understood the answer in english. Regardless, that I had not had coffee, he began to answer me in spanish. That did a lot of good.

When we left for town, most of us rode along in silence. That was much easier than trying to speak spanish. We got to the warehouse. Marc was telling us what needed to done. All seven of us just stood there as he repeated himself over and over. I finally said, in english, if you really want us to do something, maybe just a bit of english would help. He decided to say it in english and we had the little project done in far less time than Marc stood there repeating the directions over and over. I spoke quite a bit of spanish today and learned a few new words. But after so long, my brain just turns to mush.

I had to go get some sandwich bags and Felicia, Rayner and Keith were with me. Marc called at 6:00 and said spanish Monday was over for today. All I could say was "gracias a dios".

Terri

4 comments:

Carla and Daryl said...

i think i would need to hear it in english and then in spanish to catch on and i would still need help...LOL! you will be speaking spanish fluently if you keep having those spanish mondays...did mark already know spanish or is he just quick to pick up things like that? it would take me 4ever!

Ginger said...

Hi Terri,
Others are rooting for you (and all your english speaking friends )that are learning to speak spanish. May God bless you all richly as you do everything possible to work together with one another to minister to the needs of so many in spanish no less.
I love stepping into your blog and reading about what's going on in your busy lives. Every time I read another of your blogs I get a peek at your charming compassionate personality. We all know it is much easier to read how one can bless others instead of doing the real thing. You graciously teach us to serve others and we cannot help but be impacted by your example.
You find a bright spark even in your darkest moments.
It caused me to want to reach through cyberspace with a huge hug for you. Love you, sister and am so glad you continue to share your thoughts here.
Take care of Terri today. Love, Ginger

Anita said...

Terri,
I had to respond to this one! Spanish Mondays? Marc is lucky he did not have mutiny on this one. Love your blog.

Anonymous said...

While teaching EoSL, I frequently felt so sorry for students who, by the end of the day, must have had brain fry trying to understand and communicate in English all day..and they also had to learn history, math and science in English!!!! Think about how you would feel if you had to study these subjects in Spanish!!!! Old Aunt Linda