Sunday, May 4, 2008

Challenges

As I mentioned not long ago, the price of diesel is continuing to rise. Right now, there are diesel shortages all over the country. A large number of buses cannot find diesel and, therefore, are not running. All of our employees were late to work yesterday. Some of our vehicles run on gasoline and I filled the trooper on Friday afternoon. I took the employees home yesterday afternoon. There is no telling how long it would have taken for them to get home if i had not taken them. What we are hearing is there won't be any more diesel in the country until Wednesday. All buses and trucks and most cars in Honduras run on diesel.

This morning I was checking my email and right in the middle of replying to one, the electricity went off. This happens frequently and I thought it would be back in just a few minutes. It did not come back on this morning. It did not come back on until just a few mintues ago. With water so precious right now, I do not shower everyday, but always on Sunday morning. With no hot water, I chose not to shower this morning. I certainly would have conserved water had I got in that ice cold shower. I conserved even more by not turning on the water. Good choice or bad choice I am not sure.

We found out at church that our electricity may be blacked out during the day every day. It will be on a short while of a morning and a short while in the evening. If this is so, our electricity will probably go out at 10:00 tonight, or even sooner. This, of course, will pose challenges for everyone. I don't know when and if I will have email or be able to blog. I don't know how often I will shower or wash my clothes. As inconvenient as this may be for me, it is nothing compared to what it does to the Hondurans. If buses cannot get diesel and aren't running, how can someone get to work? If they do not work, they will not earn $5.00 for that day. Without electricity, people that own the pulperias can't keep their coolers running so they can sell water for ten cents or cokes for 50 cents. I would guess if there is no electricity, the kids will not go to school tomorrow and they have not been since Wednesday.

We have heard there may be strikes over these situations. I hope not. I also hope, there is a solution to all of this soon.

Terri

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh Terri, we'll be praying for relief for ALL of you. I am so sorry that I take so much for granted. We love y'all. I know God can bring and will bring lessons and blessings through these challenges, but that doesn't make it easy. I know that you know that God is faithful - always - AND God is good - all the time. You're in our prayers. love, Janet