Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Leaving for Little Rock

When the Continental Airlines flight leaves at 12:30 tomorrow, Marc and I plan to be on it. We will be in Little Rock before 10:00 tomorrow night and then go on to Searcy. Not only will we be spending some good family time, but on Saturday morning, we get to watch both of our kids graduate from Harding University. How exciting. I can't wait.

But how can this be? How can they be graduating from college? Where has all the time gone? I promise, it feels like last month Nicole and I were getting ready for prom, presentations, and high school graduation. I think a couple of months before that, they were in seventh and eighth grade. Between football, basketball, cross country, and band we were at the school or on the road almost every night. Those were fun times. I thought I would miss all of that, but I haven't.

Maybe six months ago, they were in kindergarten and first grade. After a busy week the week they got out of school for Christmas break, I thought we would all sleep in, maybe until 7:00. I did. They didn't. At 6:30 in the morning, Nathan decided to sell his Christmas candy that he received at the school party the day before. He convinced Nicole to go with him. He did the talking and she had on her pjs, a bedhead and a smile. While I might be laughing about it now, I was horrified back then when I found out.

So many memories of them growing up together. Too many to share here. Watching them experience tragedy and triumph, victory and defeat, struggling through many difficult things, sometimes together and sometimes independently.

I have rejoiced at their baptisms and marriages, wept with them over the hurts they have experienced. I am proud of the partners they have chosen for the rest of their lives. I beam with pride that they finally became friends and no longer rivals.

Today, they both took their last final. Even from here, I thought I heard them joyfully shouting.
I am proud of them and the people they have become and are becoming. I am their mother and I have every right to be proud.

Saturday will be a great day in the Tindall household as we watch both of our children receive their college diplomas. I still don't know where all the time is gone. I hope I made good use of it.

Terri

4 comments:

Carla and Daryl said...

terri, you have a wonderful way of expressing yourself! i know you are so proud of them graduating from college! can't believe they are old enough to do that either..ha i'm happy for them and for you!

Ginger said...

Terri,
I can guarantee you made the best of every moment!!!
I hope you make it to Little Rock safely and I know that graduation will be a wonderful time of joy for all.
I am praying for your family and hoping your step dad can recover. So sorry to hear that he is ill.
Be careful driving all the way to Texas to see him. Give your mom and sister a big hug. Give the kids and Camille hugs and kisses too.
If you get a chance email and keep me in the loop on things there.
Love and prayers, Ginger

Anonymous said...

Hi Terri,
I found your blog!! Thanks for all your help at the airport yesterday. God had to be in the plans to have you on the same flight that Emily and I were going on. You made our trip so much easier! You left Houston for Little Rock and we left for Ohio, we are so grateful for you and Marc helping us all along the way.
I know your Sat. will be a blessing!! Graduation for 2 how wonderful!!
God's blessing on all you and Marc do!
love, Ajuana

Anonymous said...

The two of you have been on my mind all day. What a thrill to be able to experience the graduation of both your kids at the same time. Think of it as the beginning. You have given them all you can now for a good life together and they have taken advantage of it. Sit back and enjoy the ride from here. I cannot imagine the joy in your families heart today. Congratulations to all of you. linda