Monday, May 16, 2016

Soup's On


My job is at Casa de Esperanza.  I rarely leave except to do Casa errands.  I do think it is good for me to see other aspects of the ministry from time to time.  Today, I decided to go to the feeding center with Matt.  It has been a really long time since I have been out there.

Matt and I arrived at 8:15.  The two women that cook were already there, working away.  Today was soup day.  Vegetables were being washed and chopped.  I was fascinated by the whole process.  There is not a lot of work space, but everything runs efficiently.






A while back, we bought eco-fogons on which to cook.  They burn less wood and are more efficient than what we had before.



The rice was being cooked there, but the soup pot is too big for the eco-fogon.  It was being cooked over a handmade fire near the ground.  When it was done, it took two people to carry it.


Moms and children begin to arrive around 10:00.  Grateful mom.  Sweet kids.  Happy kids.  Hungry kids.  Dirty kids.  Really dirty kids.

A portion of your Dump Day dollars goes to keep this feeding center open in the community of Buen Samaritano, a very poor community right outside of the dump.  These children are fed five days a week.  We are in the process of adding electricity so that we can have a refrigerator in the feeding center.

Thanks to everyone that donated to Dump Day 2016.  You are making a difference in the lives of the children in Buen Samaritano.






No comments: