Monday, July 5, 2010

Another Manic Monday


I am not a fan of Madonna, but another manic Monday is a perfect description of today.


In addition to the 28 people that were already here, another 41 arrived yesterday from Overland Park, Kansas. Marc had scheduled 2 houses, feeding at the dump, and working on the soccer field at Casa. He began to rush around and get things ready. I was watching Nicole pack the coolers with soda for the house sites. Marc saw the pots that the dump food is cooked in sitting up by Casa. They were not sitting up there full of food.


Denis was off yesterday and no one took the pots to Anita's. Suffice it to say, Marc was not a happy camper. Nicole and I had one goal in mind. That was to stay out of Marc's way.


We saw him carrying the pots toward our house and Nicole looked at me and said I hope he is not going to try to fix beans and rice in one hour. I said he did it once for 50 people, but I don't think he would try to do it for 300. Marc had had a brilliant idea, and it was not beans and rice. It was spaghetti. He washed the pots and had Kelin start filling them with water while he rushed to every pulperia in Santa Ana buying them out of spaghetti. The pulperia owners probably already think we are crazy, adding confirmation to that thought today.


Nicole and Kelin cooked the two huge pots of spaghetti on my teeny tiny burners. Nicole and Kelin could not lift those big pots full of water and spaghetti. They finally laid clean towels in the sink and used big spoons to put the spaghetti in the sink, then emptied the pots of water. Nicole said where there is a will , there is a way. It was pretty gummy spaghetti. Marc left here one hour late.


Let me say I am very thankful to everyone that contributes to dump fund. We are very grateful we do not have to cook every week in my one person kitchen.


Meanwhile, I am trying to keep Haley entertained without picking her up.


Wood was not being delivered until at 9:00 and 10:30, meaning the houses got a late start.


Up at Casa, the 2nd and 5th graders did not have school this morning. The fifth graders had had all weekend to do some pretty major homework and had not started it. Karen was overseeing the drawing of maps. I was keeping the printer busy with pictures of maps for the 5th graders and fish for the 2nd graders.


Hopefully, this afternoon was better than this morning. I am sure there will be interesting stories tonight.


Terri






No comments: