Monday, January 19, 2009

The New Minimum Wage, Up Close and Personal

In Honduras, all the gas stations still have people to fill your gas tanks and check under your hood. I like it. When I buy gasoline, I always gave a tip to the guy that filled my tank. I quickly discovered that if I went to same station every time and gave a tip every time, that the guys took really good care of my car. If I asked one to check the oil, he would check all my fluids. He would bring the dipstick to the window to show me that I did or did not need oil. He would tell me the level of all the fluids. If I did need oil, and had a quart in my car, he would put it in for me. If I had to buy oil, he would show me the bottle had never been opened. He was learning to adjust to my Mississippi spanish. He took my money or credit card and took it inside. He would bring my change and receipt. He knew that if he gave me good service, he would get a good tip.

Last night Marc and I pulled into our favorite station and most of the pumps were now self-serve, as in the states. We knew it was because of the new minimum wage. I teared up. This was personal. People we knew were losing jobs because the employer cannot afford to pay them. When Marc when inside to pay, he asked about all the people that were not there. He was told six people lost their jobs so two could receive the new minimum wage. Again, I tear up as I write this.

We are going to see more and more people losing their jobs so a few can receive this new minimum wage. It will happen in gas stations, restaurants, stores. One of the doctors told us it is happening in the hospital. There won't be as many street cleaners. The list is endless. And it will be up close and personal, not only as we see people we know lose thier jobs, but to the people that lose their jobs.

Don't get we wrong. I am for bettering the lives of the people here. I think it needs to be done gradually so that so many don't have to be out of work with no way to feed their families.

Terri

No comments: