Saturday, January 24, 2009

The Misplaced Backpack

Today, being much braver than I am, Marc took twelve of the kids to lunch and a movie. Karen and I thought it would be a good idea to take Sandra as well. The kids listen to and mind Sandra.
This turned out to be a better idea than anyone imagined.

Marc and the kids returned here 5:oo. Marc wasn't all the way to the house and I heard him saying "Terri, I have got to go to town. Do you want to go with me?" Of course, I wanted to go. I had spent another full day doing paper work and a trip to town seemed like a welcome break. I did ask why he needed to go to town since he was barely back from town. His reply stunned me. He said I left my backpack in the movie theater. His life is in his backpack. His passport, the money to pay for two houses that were built this week, his notebooks. Receipts. He hates it when he has to go back to places and ask for a copy of his receipt. (I am the receipt Nazi). There are other important things in that backpack as well. I could not believe what I was hearing.

If you have ever been on a Torch trip led by Marc Tindall, you have heard him say more than once not to leave your camera or your backpack or anything else where you can't see it. In this country of hungry, impoverished people, they might not steal your backpack, but if someone finds it laying around, they may think, "Look what the Lord has given to me" and feel free to take it.

Marc immediately called Milton to go to the movie theater since he was already in Tegucigalpa and we were not. I said a prayer about the backpack and Marc already had. Even though I prayed about it, I figured the backpack was gone long before Marc missed it and we prayed over it. Milton called shortly after we were out the gate and said he had Marc's backpack and it looked like everything was in it. Thank you Lord.

We met Milton. We did not even have to go all the way to town. Milton gave the guy a reward. I would have done the same thing. Milton was really generous giving reward money with someone else's money. That was really ok. Really ok since everything else was returned untouched.

Again, I say thank you, Lord.

Terri

1 comment:

Ginger said...

did the movie theater owner have th back pack?

who had found it and how did Milton know who had it?

just curious.