Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Texas

For quite some time I had been struggling with a decision to go to Texas for a family reunion. Oh yes, I wanted to go, but it was right in the middle of our busiest time of the year. We were all so disappointed when my mom did not get to come to the kids' graduation. I struggled with the decision all the more. I purchased a ticket and thought that was that. Then the crash happened and everything is being routed through San Pedro Sula, making everything a bit more difficult. I struggled some more on whether I should go or not.

Thursday morning at 4:00 a.m., Matt, Nicole and I left for San Pedro Sula. Since it was daylight this time as I drove, I realized just how bad this road is. As I sent Matt and Nicole on their way back to Tegucigalpa, I just kept saying, "please be careful" and my prayers for safety were with them.

Being a Texan by birth, I swell with pride from deep within as I arrived in Texas, even Houston. To Nathan and Nicole, I did not sing the "Eyes of Texas". I just thought about it. I reserve that lovely item for when I am with you, since you both enjoy it so much.

It stays daylight much longer in the Texas panhandle than it does in Honduras. As we approached Amarillo, I could see all the small towns along the highway, causing me to recall many sweet memories. I arrived in Amarillo and got my luggage and thought I would get to see the sun set over the Texas panhandle. I am convinced when God created sunset, He was in the panhandle of Texas. I missed the sunset as I opted for Wal-Mart instead.

As the next day dawned, I ran my errands and almost redeemed myself at spades. I could not help but notice how many big five lane streets with car-width shoulders on both sides there were. Even in the little town in which I grew up. I never noticed that before. I kept remembering the major highway between the two most important cities in Honduras that I had driven the day before. The one that was two lanes, full of potholes and with no shoulder as it snakes through the mountains.

It was with eager anticipation I waited for the start of my family reunion. From Keller and Kenya, Houston and Honduras, and points in between we all came together. We spent the weekend in sweet, precious time together. Laughing, sharing, catching up, remembering. Remembering the grandmother that loved God so dearly and ultimately touched everyone of her sons' and daughters-in-law's lives. And everyone of her grandchildren's lives. I know she played a part in everyone of us being who we are today.

I am thankful I decided to make this trip, even in the midst of our busyness. I am thankful for Marc, who encouraged me to go and kept saying, "everything will be ok while you are gone."

If you have the chance this summer, don't pass up that precious family time.

Terri

2 comments:

Carla and Daryl said...

it sounds like you had a great time seeing your family. i'm glad you all got there safely too. it was nice hearing about your grandmother. she must have been a wonderful example to make such an impression on so many of you. one day your grandchildren will be saying the same thing about you with all the kind things you do and how you glorify god by them.

Ginger said...

Amen Carla!! I couldn't have said it better myself. Terri's sweet life had made an impact on so many of her family and her friends. We all love her, don't we?
Love, Ginger (Carla's mom)