Friday, October 26, 2007

A Work Place

Yesterday some of the group went to work in feeding kitchen where approximately 200 children are fed a hot meal everyday. Some went to Danli and El Paraiso to see another work. For me, it was a difficult decision. I decided to Danli since I live here and can help in the feeding kitchen almost anytime. John Zeller from Walnut Creek is involved in this work. He helps to outsource some work from a company in San Francisco to a few ladies in El Paraiso. I decided it was good to see other groups' work and know that there are other people making difference one person at a time.

We had to get gas and make two other stops in Tegucigalpa before we headed for Danli. After the car was full of gas, it refused to start again. Someone push started and we got to the airport. Freddy, the man we rent cars from when we need one, told us the battery was dead and he would replace. It would only take five or ten minutes. I looked at John and he looked at me. This is Honduras. Nothing happens in five or ten minutes. We both thought we would be there most of the morning. We were actually on our way in ten minutes. That might have been the most amazing thing of the day. Not really.

We had 17 boxes of materials with us. The drive was beautiful. The further away from the city you go, the more primitive things get. I have, on occasion, seen a cart pulled by oxen, a man driving the team and the cart full. Yesterday, I saw more oxen carts along the way than any place I have ever been. More donkeys with two packs of wood, one on each side. Yesterday I saw an oxen team pulling a plow. And the mountains and vegetation are always beautiful.

We ate lunch in Danli and headed on El Paraiso. We went to a house, which is the workplace. The work that is being done is quite simple, tearing sheets of stickers that are already perforated, cutting and trimming paper, assembling bookmarks and other similar things. To most of us, it would be a boring task.

I met Rena, the supervisor. Yesterday she was the only one employed. One lady was very sick and one had refused to follow the work rules. Rena and the preacher had searched for more employees and finally found two more. I watched as John interviewed them. He asked simple questions. Then when he said they could start work in the morning, I watched both ladies beam with happiness. While the tasks are simple and boring to us, Rena takes great pride in her work. She showed me the bookmarks. Each one was perfectly assembled. I was able to communicate with her and find out she works 8 hours a day, 5 days a week. She has 3 children. Since it was the lunch hour when we arrived, her little girl was with her. The child was beautiful and makes good grades in school. As any mother is, she is very proud of her children.

I later asked John what the wages were. He said they get paid $4.00 per day. I know that sound awful to us, but that is a very fair wage in El Paraiso. The wage was set with the help of the preacher. In Tegucigalpa a fair wage is $5.00 per day. I was impressed with this little operation that is helping 3 women make a better live for themselves and their children.

On the way back we were shown a couple of little churches that over the years have become almost self-supporting. They have improved and enlarged their buildings. The smaller church had one little corner where they plant corn. When it is harvested, it is given to the poorer members of the church. The larger church not only had corn planted, but every inch of land not used by the building had squash and fruit trees. All of this was given to the members that needed it the most. I think Jesus looks down on those two little churches and is very pleased as He sees them trying to work together to help those less fortunate. I am awed by the lessons I am learning everyday from these people who seem to have so little, but in reality may have more than most.

Terri

2 comments:

Ginger said...

Dear Terri,
What a *great* story!!
It is a blessing to be called your sister in Christ.
I love being able to remotely be a part of your work. You all truly bless my heart and bring me smiles. Have a wonderful weekend.
Love,
Ginger
Columbus, MS

martha said...

I am catching up on your blogs, and I am awed by what you are doing there.
Camille is here this weekend while the kids are in Nashville. She is such a blessing, and I am glad the kids are having fun.
martha