Saturday, October 20, 2007

Weekend Happenings

Saturday it rained for the 12th straight day. The ground is saturated. But we are lucky. There has been no flooding here. In Choluteca, there has been severe flooding and some have lost their homes and many are without food. Marc and I helped load a truck of food, clothing, hygiene kits, and blankets that was being taken to Choluteca to help the people there. I never mind working that hard for such a good cause.



I never want to judge anyone's heart or intentions, so I have to assume sometimes people's brains temporarily stop working, but it never ceases to amaze me some of the things that end up in Honduras. I know everyone tries to cull through the junk before it is packed and put into a container. And I know how easy it is to get in a hurry and just want to be done and maybe let some things that shouldn't be in Honduras slip through. I have decided not to worry about what we found in the warehouse that probably will never be used. I am going to focus on the fact that many people that have lost so much will have food again.

After we finished loading the truck, we went to the airport to pick up a group of 5 people from Illinois and California that will be here working for a week. Usually when a group comes in we walk across the street and eat at Burger King. This group got off the plane saying they wanted real Honduran food. Marc knew just where to and off we went. We got the group settled in early and called it a day.

This morning, after some of that fresh fruit and cereal for breakfast, we headed to church at Los Pinos. This church was planted only four years ago. It is a neat place to attend church. I understood more of the songs and more of the sermon than last week. This morning there were 82 adults an 105 childen in church. Los Pinos is poor community and the people that attend church there decided to have a feeding program. They feed every child that is there a hot meal. For many of the children, it is the only meal they receive that day. The group got to help serve the children their food. The children thanked God for their food and waited patiently until they received their bowl of food. I was amazed at how well behaved the children were as they waited for their food. I actually talked intelligent spanish and made myself understood when I told the lady that we wanted to help her serve the food to the children. She was grateful for our help. After church and lunch, we did a bit of sightseeing, since it was too late to start much work. We went to the Jesus statue, Suyapa and Baxter. I was still dressed in a dress and heels. In the daytime you cannot get anywhere near as close to the Jesus statue as we do at night. That was fun to walk that distance and those stairs in heels.


There are seven in the group, counting Marc and I. Therefore, we have to travel in two vehicles. We were headed back to Santa Ana and the car I was in needed gas. I spoke more spanish than anyone else in the car. Pretty scary. We were all acting so confused that the attendant came around and asked me if we had any money. I showed him I did and he then pumped the gas. It didn't rain in Tegucigalpa today, but it was another rainy day in Santa Ana.

Tomorrow, provided we can get wood, we will build a house. And hopefully, it will be a dryer day in which to build.

Terri

No comments: