Thursday, January 19, 2017

A Cast Is An Humbling Experience

I have always claimed a dependency on God, family and friends.  That is a fact.  But, I am also extremely independent, or some may even say strong-willed.  I like to be able to do for myself and do it the way I want it.

Two weeks ago, I viewed this broken bone as a minor inconvenience.  A walking cast meant I could still get around.  And still do everything I needed and wanted to do.  A walking cast would not even slow me down.

Maybe that would have been true if I were 20. But, not when I am 60.

I was so wrong. This cast has slowed me down a lot.

I can get around.  I can get around easier than after my knee surgery last year.  But this cast is heavy.  I tire easily.  And, like it or not, there are some things I just cannot do. 

Baby Paigie was sick when I broke this ankle.  She had to be nebulized 10 or 12 times a day the first couple of days I was in a cast.  I felt Nicole had so much on her plate that I was not going to add anything else. 

It has been very humbling to say,  "I can't do this." or "I need help".  Or even more so to have to say, "I am just too tired to do that right now."  Or for someone to come down here for something and I am still in my shorts and t-shirt and 9:00 or 9:30 in the morning.

I am still trying to not ask Nicole too often as I know her plate is full.  She may not think that, but in my mind I think I am not asking too often.

I am learning to rest and be patient, something I needed to learn.

Be still and know that I am God.

No comments: