Saturday, November 7, 2009

Technical Difficulties

I have had and am having technical difficulties.

While we were in the States, I had some problems with my computer. We thought that was resolved.

When we got home, the desktop, the repeater, my keyboard and mouse and maybe the Belkin wireless had all been fried. My desktop had my quickbooks on it. Marc took the computer to be worked on and was told the mother board was gone. They did not even try to recover any thing that was on the hard drive. But when Marc returned home with my computer, he said it had microsoft office on it. I was excited about that since we use a share wear call Open Office. I certainly like microsoft office better.

One problem. It is in spanish. And it will not allow us to change it to english. This is yet another one of my many challenges, which I am working through. The keyboard is also a spanish keyboard. Some things are in the same place and some are not. Oh my goodness, this is fun. I feel like I am in beginning typing again. Or worse, hunting and pecking. I am sure I will adjust to this little bump in the road as well. I am technologically challenged as it is, but when you add programs and keyboards in spanish, I am lost.

My laptop began giving me problems again after we got home. I put everything on my external hard drive and Marc took it to the shop. We were thinking it needed a new fan. That is what the shop initially said as well. After they ordered a fan, they discovered the whole thing was gone.

I plugged my external hard drive into Marc's computer, which also has Open Office, only to discover all my files were read only. There was not one thing in which I could work. I went to help and followed the directions carefully, but could not get into my files.

I plugged the external hard drive into the desktop and at least could work in my files. I am getting a little work done.

On top of these problems, our internet has been down for a week. I am using dial-up now. It has been a long time since I have used dial up. And I just thought our internet in Honduras was slow. We hope to have our internet back tomorrow or the next day. I will be posting again as soon as that happens.

Please be patient. It is what it is.

Terri

1 comment:

johnz said...

Programs in Spanish! No problem now that you have the language mastered. It will be good practice but sorry to hear about your continuing hardware problems. John