Sunday, September 28, 2008

Rainy Season

The rainy season is here and will be here at least a couple of months more. It rains so hard almost everyday. We have a tin roof on our house. Most of the time, the rain is so hard we cannot hear each other no matter how close we are. Marc turns the tv up. It does not really help; it just makes a lot more noise.

I love sleeping at night with the sound of the rain hitting the tin roof. After the rain stops, I continue to hear the water in the creek behind the house. People pay for machines so they can sleep to the sound of a flowing stream. I also have my own private waterfall back there. It doesn't get much better than that. Everything is lush and green, so different from a few months ago when it was parched and dry.

Marc told me he knew where a waterfall was in Ojojona. I decided it was time for a Sunday afternoon drive. We actually saw two waterfalls. One we could walk to and one so far away and so high in the mountains we could never get there. I am not sure the zoom lens on my camera could even see it.

While I sit here in my house, that finally has no leaks, and my dehumidifier running 12 hours a day, and enjoying the sound of rain on a tin roof, many people watch as the water runs through their house every day. Everything they own is soggy and probably mildewed. As we drove this afternoon, I looked at the houses out in the country. Most are not tight. I wondered if they get to sleep dry or if they sleep at all.

The creeks and streams are swollen, making crossing impossible. I did see a couple of footbridges, but I would not have crossed them. They did not look stable. Not being able to cross the stream would mean many people would be cut off from getting to work, school, church, or even to buy groceries.

Thursday, in Tegucigalpa, it rained so hard in such a short time, two villages were severely damaged. Thirteen houses in one village were washed into the river as it rose rapidly.

Pray for those families.

Terri

2 comments:

Carla and Daryl said...

too much of a good thing...this rain, huh? i imagine even the folks in places where the rain didn't destroy villages that it was still a muddy nightmare. i love the sound of hard rain on a tin roof but if it never stopped i guess i would be praying for it to let up too.

i'm glad you and marc were able to enjoy some of the beauty honduras has to offer. bet the waterfalls were gorgeous. we just got back from a weekend trip with my parents and sisters and family to a state park and we soaked up the nature. it was very rejuvenating.

Ginger said...

Hello,
I know what tune you can't get out of your head.

Rain Rain Go Away!!
Come again another day!!
Good thing you can swim.

Enjoy that tin roof. Sleep more. Love, Ginger