Monday, September 8, 2008

Church

I have always loved church. I still love church. I love spanish church in Honduras and I love english church in the states. When I go to church, I try to put myself in a worshipful frame of mind. Most of the time I am able to do that. The big exception to that is when I sit with Nicole.

I love being with Nicole and we always have fun together. Always. Sometimes too much fun. If we are at church together, Marc and Matt try to sit between us. Yesterday we were hugging everyone and sat down together just as the first song began. We both looked at each other and smiled, as if to say let the fun begin. I am not sure, but I think I saw Matt shake his head.

I just made one little comment to her and we both started giggling. Why are things so funny in church that might not be funny at all somewhere else? Our laughing was made worse by the fact that the pew we were on was not in good repair. I thought if we did not all sit down or stand up at the same time, it probably not break. So every time we stood or sat, we looked like we were doing the wave. For some reason, that was extremely funny.

Once when we sat, Nicole was the last to sit and the seat popped loudly. Several people turned around to see what was happening. Out of the corner of my eye, I could not only see Nicole laughing, I could see my good friend Phyllis laughing. I was thinking if Nicole and Phyllis are both laughing, it is all over.

As the singing ended and the sermon began, I had to make a choice to be the adult and the example and not laugh any more. Not at anything. Just the fact that I would not look at Nicole was funny. We both settled down and heard a great sermon on choosing to commit our lives to Christ.

When church was over, there was nothing quite as funny as it had been earlier. I wonder why?

Terri

5 comments:

Jeanne said...

Oh Terri, that's so funny! I know exactly what you mean. Nothing is ever as funny as it is when you're in church...trying not to laugh...or after midnight wherever you are.

Glad you're having fun!

Carla and Daryl said...

hey terri! i'm back at home and checked your blog first thing this morning with my coffee. wish i would have noticed all these shanannigans yesterday but you must have held together pretty well since i didn't...ha..sounds like it was tough though. it was good to see you and give you a hug this weekend.
i'm glad you are having a good trip home and smiling and laughing alot but i believe you do that wherever you are. you make the most of anyplace you're at and that is what makes you the happy, positive, and sweet person i love!
carla

Anonymous said...

Always so glad to hear you are able to enjoy your family and friends in the USA. It is so fun to giggle with daughters isn't it? I know that grandaughter must be getting lots of special attention too. Hope we cross paths while you are in Texas. Will be happy to hear of your experiences when you return home too. Be safe. linda

Ginger said...

Terri,
Catching up on your blogs of late. this one seems to be the story of my life. I had 4 daughters, 3 son in laws and 5 grandchildren on my pew sunday with me. There were a few funny moments when i had to hold it together as well.
What a joy to worship with family. I felt blessed and I know you did too.
Life was quiet today so I walked and rode my bike.
Hopefully, I can do it tomorrow too. I need to.
Many things have been changing since Pearley announced his retirement in Dec. and to handle these changes I believe that walking and riding my bike is the best solution to handling the changes.
I hope you have a great vacation in the texas state. love, Ginger

Lee and Heather said...

It was so good to see you all when you came by what a fun visit! You and Nicole are soooo funny! That is cute. I really enjoy reading these... thank u for being a huge part of our lives for all this time. we love you all so much and you both are a huge inspiration to us!