Monday, September 22, 2008

Back in Honduras

Today we safely, uneventfully arrived back in Tegucigalpa. I was ready to be back.

We had a wonderful time in Texas and enjoyed sweet Camille. She slept in the room with the computer so that severely limited my blogging time. There was no early morning or late night sitting at the computer. I would not have taken a chance on waking her.

I was ready to come back to Honduras. But last night, when we were saying bye to Camille and she was crying and saying "why do you guys have to leave?", I might have been persuaded to stay. I promised we would be back for Christmas and her birthday. She is too little to understand that. And as we prayed before we ate today, I missed her singing "God Our Father."

As we left Little Rock this morning, I reflected on leaving Little Rock last September. Then I was moving here; this time I was returning home. Last year, I have to admit, I was just a little bit scared. This time I was eager to get back; start working again. Start learning spanish again.


I have learned so much about Honduras and the people here. I am learning their customs and their ways and even learning to negotiate the dmv and transito. Obviously, by dealing with these things, I am learning patience.

I still struggle with spanish. I thought I would be pretty good after a whole year. I have come to realize the importance of speaking the language. Not knowing the language limits the number of people I can help. I have a strong desire to conquer this and am sure by this time next year I will be much better. Not fluent, but better. Not to say I haven't learned any spanish. There are several things I can do by myself.

I am driving and getting around well. Better than I ever dreamed I would. I now back up and down roads on which I never thought I would drive forward. I am still not driving a stick on these hills. I learned to drive a stick in Lubbock, Texas. No hills there. Driving on the hills is just another goal to accomplish.

I have seen poverty, despair and hopelessness that my American mind could not even comprehend. A child not going to school because he does not have school supplies. I have seen sickness and hurts that do not exist in the United States. A baby dying because her parents did not have three dollars to buy her medicine. Not only have I had to learn patience, I have had to learn compassion. In huge doses.

So much learned. So much accomplished. So much to learn. So much to accomplish.

Do I have regrets? Absolutely not. This is where we are meant to be. For now at least.

The future looks busy. Busier than the past year. Only God can give me strength to do that. I can hardly wait to see just what God has planned for the next year.

It has been a great year, a hard year, a year with a huge learning curve. I would not trade it for anything in the world.

Terri

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Terri; I really appreciate your regular updates. You have a wonderful way of writing that is informative and (dare I say) entertaining. Thanks for providing the opportunity for outreach and growth for the AIM team. We pray for your work there and for everyone's safety and health. God bless you! Paul Yoder

Ginger said...

Dear Terri,

I am glad you are ready for more adventures in Honduras but I suggest you rest some. Yours and Marcs trip was really a tiring one.
You should take time to do just plain old nothing today.
Marc and Terri, I am praying for lots of joy and lots of peace for both of you! Blessings to you guys! Yeah!! the airplane landed safely.
You have such a keen awareness of God's faithfulness. He is always at work caring for all of us. We praise HIM with you today. Love, Ginger

Anonymous said...

So glad you are back safely and that you enjoyed your trip. We enjoyed seeing you both and look forward to your next visit. God bless you and the work you are doing. I pray for you and the kids at Casa.
Love in Him,
Suzan