Sunday, August 17, 2008

Summer 2008

Another summer for Torch has come and gone. And what a summer it was. We knew from the very beginning it was going to be an unusual summer.

The first summer group was coming May 31. May 30 a plane crashed in Tegucigalpa closing the airport until August 1, essentially the end of the mission group season. Adjustments were made immediately, as I made my first, of many, trips to San Pedro Sula to meet two of our interns on May 30. Marc went to San Pedro Sula on May 31 to meet the first time group from Topeka.

For now, there are no more trips to San Pedro Sula. No more combo numero siete at Wendy's, the only place to eat in the San Pedro Sula airport. No more stops in Comayagua for granita and pound cake. As with every challenge, there is always a blessing. To Ruthann, Linda, Tempa, Teresa, Sylvia, Debra, and Janet, the time I spent with you on the road to San Pedro Sula was priceless. My life is forever changed by knowing each of you better. Thanks.

Nicole, I did not forget you went with me a couple of times as well. I enjoyed that time with you as well, even if you did try to tell me how to drive.

I have been thoroughly spoiled with Milky Ways, french vanilla coffee creamer, almonds and many other nice treats from the states. I have been spoiled by sharing daily times of praise and worship, in English, with the groups. I have laughed, cried, and prayed with many old and new friends.

There was more sickness than we have ever seen before; yet there was no complaining and everyone kept on keeping on.

While the road was being kept hot with the many trips to San Pedro Sula, the groups that were in Tegucigalpa were changing lives as well, both those of the Hondurans and their own. A church building was replaced, two school buildings built, a bridge built, seventy new homes were built, and sidewalks were poured. Literally tons of food and clothing were distributed. Gatorade was delivered to the street cleaners. Medical clinics and vacation Bible school were held were hundreds. Thousands of kids were hugged and touched the deep places of our hearts. Thirty seven precious souls came to know Jesus as their Lord and Savior and many more seeds were planted.

I watched as you came and saw things unimagineable to our American minds, and then as your hearts were broken, never, ever to be the same people that arrived in Honduras. I watched as you gave of yourselves and your possessions. I watched as kids arrived at the Tegucigapla airport on August 2 and August 9 to tell you good-bye and as they and you cried. I watched as lifelong relationships were formed.

To borrow a quote from my husband, "it has been another great summer in Honduras."

For now, the chainsaws and hammers are silent. No more wild rides in the buses as the buses are parked and we are not sitting in awe, wondering how on earth that driver got that bus into such a tight place. No more devos in Santa Lucia and the Jesus statue. No more "where did you see Jesus today?" Plans are already being made for groups to come in summer 2009 so that there can be another great summer in Honduras.

Terri

2 comments:

Ginger said...

Dear Terri,
You have made a difference! I am amazed by all that was accomplished.

You are one of a kind.

I've had NO TIME to email.

One day I hope to write a long long one...Love, Ginger

Anonymous said...

I am so humbled, encouraged, and challenged by your living and working there. I am so honored to be your sister in law in this life, your friend and sister in Christ for always! love you, Janet :)