Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Nathan

Julia, Nathan and Camille at graduation in May.


It almost seems an impossibility that twenty four years ago right now I was in a hospital bed in Lubbock, Texas holding our second son. Nathan Lane Tindall was born August 26 on a Sunday morning. The joys that second son brought.




From birth, he had a mind of his own. And I soon discovered the busiest child ever born. He never slowed down. When he got caught doing something he was not suppose to be doing, he always had this litle "not me" smile. He loved the loud music from birth, a love he still has to this day.


Combining a strong will, a curious mind and the busyness meant many scary and interesting experiences. After Nicole was born, I had a terrible case of the flu. Marc took Ryan to school, Nicole to a friend's, and left Nathan with me. I was too sick to answer the phone when Marc called to check on me. Marc decided to drive home and found Nathan running up the street with a butcher knife. There was the time he was jumping off the bunk bed and the fifth time landed on his head making it necessary for a speedy trip to ER. And the time he walked the railing on the balcony of our house in Collierville, proudly proclaiming, "look how good I can walk the balance beam." I have earned everyone of these gray hairs.


Then there was the time Nathan and I drove from Texas to California. It took us three days. We had fun together. I promise we looked at every single rock in the painted desert. And we bought fool's gold in Calico. There was piano lessons, baseball, gymnastics, football. Nathan excelled at them all. He also excelled at teasing his little sister, and sometimes talked her into some of his shenanigans.

The memories of my second son growing up could go on and on.


Nathan has had many trials and hardships already in his young life. Marc and I are proud that he has worked hard to overcome these things. We are proud of his sweet wife and our precious granddaughter.


So here's to you Nathan, Happy Birthday. I love you.








4 comments:

Ginger said...

What a good looking happy young man and one would never believe a word of the things you have written after seeing this angelic face. How could that sweet young man ever have given you any grey hair!!

I think he has come so far in his short life. I would say it had an awful lot to do with his loving caring remarkable christian parents as to why he is so grounded and happy now. Doesn't it make the journey sweeter when one has gone through as much as Nathan to earn such praise as he indeed deserves. I say happy birthday nathan too!!

He has a beautiful wife and baby girl.

Such blessings!
Love you and your family,
Ginger

Love you,
Ginger

Carla and Daryl said...

how did you stay sane through the curious years?? guess that is where the grey hairs come into play. i'm sure your faith in God is what kept you going strong. i am proud of nathan too. he has a beautiful family that i know he loves!

Jeanne said...

Oh Terri! I laughed so hard reading of Nathan's shenanagans! I think the "running up the street with a butcher knife" pretty much puts you into the "Mother's Hall of Fame"! He kinda reminds me of our little grandson, Jack! He has no fear and you just never know what he's going to do next. (Accidently knocking over the gallon of paint and smearing it all over the kitchen comes to mind...)

Aren't we happy to see our children with their own families? I just hope your granddaughter doesn't inherit those genes...:)

Anonymous said...

I MAY even attribute a few of my silver hairs to Nathan! Visions of him bouncing up and down on the edge of a cliff in Hawaii still haunt me. I am SO proud and happy for all of you! love you, Janet