Friday, November 11, 2016

Choir Competition

As I stated yesterday, I changed my ticket and came home early.  Because of the nowhere-near-long- enough-detour to Enid, it took 10 hours from Kansas City to Shawnee.  I unloaded my car, a not very easy job after 5 weeks of traveling.  Then I began to repack.  I got three hours sleep before Kim took me to the airport for my 6:00 a.m.flight. 

I might have slept a little on the plane, but not much, if any.  Nicole, Emma, and Haley picked me up at the airport.  After a quick bite to eat, we went to the hospital to see Baby Paige.  She was still under oxygen.  We waited until the doctor came in and we left.  We stopped at Larach for project materials for Josue.  I fed the girls.  Haley went to bed.  There was no way Emma was going to bed until Mommy got home.  I tried to unpack and repack. 

Haley's choir was scheduled for a competition in San Pedro Sula and Haley did not intend to miss it.  We had to be at the school at 5:00 a.m.  Another night of 3 hours of sleep.  I am too old for that.

I wanted to ride the bus.  I did not want to drive to San Pedro Sula and I do not know my way around in San Pedro Sula except to the airport.  I was fairly certain the competition was not at the airport.

Haley and I both took a little nap.  We played tic-tac-toe, hangman, and the dot game.  We had our cards with us, but cards are not for the bus.

The choir was on one bus and the band on another.  Right before we got to Comayagua, the band bus broke down.  Our bus went on into town to buy a part and went back.  We stopped later for breakfast.  We arrived at the school just in time for opening ceremonies.  Kids were having to change clothes in the bus, but we made it inside just in time.

There were rehearsals and such on Friday afternoon.

We ate a late supper and Haley went to bed.  We had to be on the bus at 7:00 and had to have eaten breakfast.  I was still tired, but I got more than 3 hours sleep, thankfully.

We went to the warm-up room, which we shared with our band.  The band was very respectful of the elementary choir was they warmed up and practiced.

I thought they sounded pretty good in practice.

I snapped a shot of Haley pre-performance.  Yes, the hem is out of her jumper.  Being the band mom I once was, I could not believe that I had not safety pins or straight pins.  Nothing.  I am way out of practice on these things.  The teacher found a stapler and stapled the hem in.  It works.

We then moved to the library for the performance. 

They were awesome and got a superior rating.

The choir instructor had asked that the kids be at other performances of students from our school.  Haley and I stayed at the school all day so we could do that.  There were food vendors.  We had pizza for lunch and a granita in the middle of the afternoon.  We found a nice table and got out our cards.  The school was beautiful and we enjoyed the afternoon playing cards and attending a couple of other performances.

Around 4:30, she got her shoes and socks on and I redid her hair.  Her choir was in the closing ceremonies and it was soon time for practice. 

The closing ceremonies were the combined choirs, bands and orchestras from our school and the host school.  I am fairly certain that our elementary choir was the only elementary portion of that combo.  They practiced for quite some time.  I was impressed that the schools could come together and practice and then perform quite well.

They performed "Ode to Joy".  And then the bands and orchestras played a few more numbers.  I really enjoy watching a band director who has fun while directing.  It was a great closing ceremony.

Then the whole group went to Kentucky Fried Chicken.

This was a great weekend with my Haley.

Her choir has been asked to perform for the Philharmonic in Tegucigalpa.  Only four schools were asked.

No comments: