Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Jigsaw Puzzles And Whopper Breaks

On December 31, 2004 my first grandchild was born.  She was perfect in every way.  In my eyes, she still is.  It soon became evident that this child loved puzzles.  I, also, love puzzles.  But, it would not have mattered if I did or did not love puzzles, I would have worked them with her just to be with her. 

With each passing visit, our puzzles became more difficult.  We have worked one 1000 piece one, one that had a metallic finish on it.  When the overhead light was shining on the pieces, it transformed the colors.  We did finish that one.  And, then there was the one I ordered of her new hometown.  Little did I know, as a bigger challenge, it came with no picture.  We worked and worked on it.  We never did finish that one.  Now, at least, we can laugh about it.

Two years ago I went to help them move.  Camille and I went off to pack some boxes of linens and pillows.  She had some whoppers.  Not whoppers as in Burger King, but whoppers as in chocolate malt balls.  We would put a few things in a box and she would say, "I think it is time for a whopper break."  We would laugh and have a whopper or two.  We had so much fun.  After we arrived in New Hampshire, we went to get some whoppers so we could unpack.  Since then, we always need whoppers when I come to visit.  Always.

We bought whoppers last Thursday at Target and started on our puzzle later that day.  This year, we have no table for the puzzle.  We have a somewhat stiff mat on the carpet of her bedroom.  We have to put the pieces that have not been used away every night.  It is okay, we are up to the challenge.  Some days, we just have a few minutes to work on the puzzle.  Some days, we have more.  We may finish the puzzle tomorrow.  We finished the whoppers last night.

This is a very special time.  I love every minute of it.  I may not be the sharpest tool in the shed, but I don't think I am the dullest either.  Camille will soon be 12.  She is swimming 5 days a week.  While, I would like to think, there will always be jigsaw puzzles and whopper breaks,  I realize some time I will come to visit and she won't have time to work puzzles.

Trust me, I am treasuring every second we spend working jigsaw puzzles and taking whopper breaks.

No comments: