Monday, October 11, 2010

Mornings At Casa de Esperanza

In an effort to provide as much consistency as possible for the children, we decided that the same people do the same things at the same time. Most of the time, that works. There are always exceptions, of course.

I take Rosy to school. Karen gets the other children up, has devo with them and gets them off to school. Karen is off on Saturday. I do the morning routine that day. Since there is no school on Saturday, devo starts at 7:00 instead of 6:00.

Karen had to be at Manos Felices this morning so she took Rosy to school and I did the other routine. In order for devo to start at 6:00, the kids have to start getting out of bed at 5:45. Let me tell you, the kids are much easier to rouse at 7:00 on Saturday than they are at 5:45 on Monday. Nohemy was ready to get up and so was Jose. Jose is always ready to be out of bed. The kids drug out of bed, sleepy-eyed and grumbly. But we started devo at 6:00 with everyone there.

During the first song at devo, I was singing solo. After we did "If you love Jesus" and "The Hippopatumus Song" and a couple of other lively ones, I began to see some life and some smiles.

With breakfast eaten, chores done, backpacks in hand, we loaded in the van for school. In just a few minutes, I returned to Casa with the four second graders in tow. Their teacher was sick and they had no school. Fernando and Jose hooped and hollered all the way home.

All went fairly smoothly this morning, but Karen makes it look so easy. And, trust me, it is not that easy.

Terri

No comments: