Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Leaving Illinois

Four years ago, when Marc was offered a job in Belleville, we knew he had to accept due to changes that were being made within Sara Lee. Marc started a brand new job on Nicole's first day of her senior year in high school. Thus, the decision for Nicole and I to stay in Mississippi for nine more months. I already loved Columbus, but after Nicole and I staying that much longer, I loved Columbus even more. By June 2004, not only did I not want to move, I sure did not want to move to Illinois. Moving is hard. You have to find new doctors, new church, new hair stylist, new bank, new grocery store, new friends. And, I was moving without my kids. I always needed my kids when we moved. Because of youth group and soccer and such, they helped me find my way and meet new people. Since saying goodbye is hard and the kids weren't going to be there to help me find my way, I decided I just would not meet new friends. After Nathan's wedding and getting Nicole off to Harding, I did not know what I was going to do in Illinois.

On weekends, Marc and I began to ride our bikes again. Well, one good thing to say about Illinois is there sure were good bike trails. Better than anything we had seen in a long while. Ok, mark one thing positive for Illinois. Then there was the four distinct seasons. Something you don't see in Mississippi. Oh my, the fall colors are beautiful. I must add, that winter season was sure something my southern bones weren't used to. I thought I might freeze to death. I have always loved the Mississippi River. It was almost in my backyard. Not to mention the Illinois and Missouri Rivers as well. I got to see the river high and low. I got to see the Illinois frozen. I got to ride my bike along the rivers. Illinois might not be so bad after all.

Then I ate fried ravioli. Well, I might be hooked for life. On both fried ravioli and Illinois. And then there was Carolos O'Kelley's. Real Mexican food in Illinois. All the while the friend factor was making its presence. I was making friends and going to lunch and attending things at church and having things in my home and planning things at church. I was really feeling at home and having fun. Something I was sure, I would never do. All of a sudden, I find myself with a lot of friends, and a church we like .

I never thought when I crossed the river and it said welcome to Illinois, I would be glad, but I was. I never thought it would be sad to leave Illinois, but it is. Oh yes, I am excited to be going to Honduras, but still sad to leave.

Debbie, we needed one more cup of coffee, didn't we. Sandy and Sarah, I never had so much fun on a ladies retreat. Yay for Sarah. She rescued the chocolate as Sandy was falling in the pool. Too many memories and good times to name them all. Too many people involved in those good memories. I would surely leave someone out. To Fairview Heights church of Christ, thank you for loving us and letting us love you. Thank you for allowing us to work with you. Thank you for your encouragement, support and prayers. Thank you for the send off tonight. To our small group, thank you for everything. You have helped me many times and allowed me to help you. We have prayed together, eaten together, laughed together. Precious memories. Thanks to the friends that helped us pack and hold a yard sale and run errands and take care of little things after we leave. To the folks at Okaw Valley. I had been out of the work force for over 5 years. There was some apprehension about reentering. You not only made that transition a smooth and easy one for me, you became my friends as well. Thank you for lunch yesterday.

This week has been one of packing and cleaning and running errands. Of eating at Carlos O'Kelley's one more time, with friends of course, doing lunch with friends, of remembering just how great the last 3 years has been.

I hope I leave a part of myself here, because I know I am definitely taking a part of each one of you with me. I am not saying goodbye; I am saying see you later.

Please keep Marc and I in your prayers as we begin the next chapter in our lives.

Love to all,
Terri

2 comments:

Ginger said...

Hi Terri,
Good blog. ginger

Ginger said...

Good Morning Terri,
I came to your site this morning hoping to hear!! I know when things slow down you will write again. I hope your devotional tomorrow doesn't stress you out.
I know you are in your bible right now reading, praying, studying and preparing for when you will speak in the morning. You have walked this path before. You will do well.
Autumn is here. That glorious season where God brings out all His majesty for us to remember in the black and white and gray of winter ahead. Autumn is a season of reflection and the preparing to "nest" in the cold months ahead.

You will be in a new "nest" in Honduras. I wish you ALL the best in your new home. I pray all God's riches towards you today. I know your source of peace comes from God. Draw on that today. Love, Ginger