Monday, September 24, 2007

Leaving Illinois Part 2 or Adventures in Moving Part 2

The lunches with friends, the see you laters, and the tears of sadness quickly turned into no time to eat and tears of frustration and exhaustion. I knew by Tuesday that I was not leaving on Thursday. And I would not have left on Friday had my good friend, Sandy Dawson, not given so graciously of her time to help me. I thought nearly all the stuff was gone, but it seemed to keep multiplying. There was a huge pile in the living room floor and another in one of the bedrooms that had to be put in the car to go to Texas as well as my luggage. Sandy looked at all of that and said no way is all that going in the car. I must admit I thought the same thing. Just in case it didn't, I knew I could take it to Steve and Karen's garage. I would say I have replaced Marc as the ultimate packer since I got every bit of it in, with room to spare. At long last, by 10:30 Friday morning everything was out of the house, which no longer seemed like home. Everything inside the house was clean. I must admit, though, there was still stuff in the garage. Thanks to those people that are taking that out for me. I was tired when I left and did not know how I would drive 12 hours to Texas. At that point in time, the only thing I felt was relief that the house was empty and clean. All other emotions seemed to be forgotten. I had a burst of energy when I got to Tulsa and another when I crossed the Texas state line. I still had to stop in Shamrock for coffee to get me that last 90 miles. Worst cup of coffee I ever had in my life. I was looking forward to being with family and some more see ya laters.

We always play spades while I am here. I always leave saying I am coming back to redeem myself. Well, I have one more day to redeem myself.

As for the moving adventures, first of all Marc's luggage did not arrive in Honduras with him and the dog. This is the few clothes that I did not send on the container.

We decided we would use Marc's parents address as our legal address. Therefore, I had to register the car, get insurance, get a Texas driver's license, etc. Today was the day for those errands. I went to register the car first since that was the nearest place to my mom's house. Only thing you have to have a Texas state inspection sticker before you can register the car and you have to have insurance before you can get a sticker. And you have to have all of the above before you get a driver's license. I got insurance, finally. I went to get a sticker and the person that inspects was gone to lunch and would not be back until 1:00 and it was 12:25. That meant coke break for me. I got the sticker and went back to the tag and title place. Can you imagine going to the DMV twice in one day in Illinois? By the time your number was called the first time, you would not have time to do anything else that day. Got the car registered. Things look like they are falling into place. Right? Wrong. I went to get my driver's license. I have had a Texas driver's license before. I surrendered it in 1988 when we moved to Memphis. There is no record of me ever having had a Texas license. That' ok. I can still get one. I have this folder full of birth certificates, marriage license, all the kids and Marc's original social security cards, I have my passport. I have everything you can think of but my original social security card. But I had a copy. Not good enough. I had a file box in the car of all 2007 records, which has my pay stubs with my social security number on it. None of that is what they want. They said they needed a transcript of my grades with my social on it. So, I went to Borger High school and got my transcript. I am dating myself, but there was no social on it. I went to the college and my transcript is not in the computer so they have to do it by hand and it will be ready in the morning. I will be able to pick it up in the morning and then go get my driver's license. I have heard the stories of getting the paper work for residency and driver's licenses in Honduras. I do not believe that Honduras has any thing on the great state of Texas.

Well, the moving part of this adventure is nearly over and the real stories will begin. Stay tuned.

Terri

1 comment:

Ginger said...

Dear Terri,
I just now thought to check on this to see if there was a new read and indeed a very new read..just hours old and Mercy! I would never in a million years guessed that there is so much to do moving to Honduras. I would not be able to endure these adventures !! You have taken the experience of moving to another demension. I mumbled prayers for you all the way through this blog. You should write soap opera scripts. I can only imagine what you will write tomorrow. Love, Ginger