Monday, December 4, 2017

The Graduation That Wasn't

On my very first mission trip to Honduras in 2003, we built the church building at Los Pinos.  We were in Los Pinos almost every day for  two weeks.  There was a special little family that lived across the street from the church building.  All these years, they have remained special to me.

This little family consists of a mom, Siomara and her daughters, Josselin and Linda.  For a short while, Siomara worked at Casa de Esperanza.  Josselin and Linda came with her.

Linda finished high school this year.  Like I said, this is quite an accomplishment in this country.  Linda invited me to her graduation.  It is always an honor to be invited to a graduation.  This graduation was to be on Friday.  Of course, I planned on being there.  Linda called on Thursday night and said that because of the political unrest and the things happening in the city, that graduation had been moved to Monday.  I still planned on being there.

Then the curfew was put in place on Friday night.  I knew that I might be in a bind to get from Tegucigalpa by 6:00 and began to rethink this.

Yesterday afternoon, Linda called again and said because of protests and such, that there would be no graduation.  My heart hurt for not only Linda, but all of her classmates who had worked so hard to reach this milestone and could not have graduation.

I am still proud of Linda and wish her well in all she does.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

So sorry to hear about that because it meant so much to her family, and to you! Thinking of you guys!, please stay safe! Kathy in K.y