Sunday, February 10, 2013

Buying School Supplies

When we moved here, and it was time to buy the school supplies for the Casa kids, there was only one place to buy them.  Larach.  Larach is a big hardware store in Tegucigalpa and it  has an old fashioned stationery store in the back.  I kind of like going in there.  I would take the lists to Larach and shop.  Sometimes, it would take hours.  Each year, we had more kids and it would take longer. 

Then Utilies de Honduras started carrying some school supplies.  They didn't have everything, so it was still easier to go to Larach.   Then Utiles began to carry more and pretty much have everything now.  I could go in there and hand them the lists and they would get it for me.  Nice.

Each year, a few pulperias here in Santa Ana have begun carrying a few school supplies.  Not a single pulperia carries everything, but by running all over town, we can get most, but not all, things.

If it was up to me, I would still go to town and buy at Larach or hand my lists to someone at Utilies.  But, Karen, in all her wisdom, gives the lists to some of the older kids and sends them on their way.  I count out some money for them, count it again with them, and then they have to bring me the receipt and the change.  We count the money again.

Friday, Ana came back once for more money and once for a new list.  She walked several places and bought what she could.  This is teaching the kids to do it the Honduran way and to be responsible with money. 

Ana went several places and still did not get everything.  I will finish the lists tomorrow in town. 

Aren't you glad you have Wal-Mart, Target, and Office Depot?

No comments: