Friday, April 10, 2009

Fire Season

We are in the middle of the long, hot dry season. It usually goes six months without raining. It is so dusty. I feel like I am eating dirt all the time. There is no way to keep my car clean. It was washed on Tuesday and already looks like it hasn't been washed in a year.

The rivers are dry. Marc was in Nueva Oriental earlier this week with the group from Atlanta. There was no water there. Not a drop anywhere. Marc took care of getting water into the community before everything shut down for Semana Santa.

There are fires burning everyday. Everywhere. As I drive up and down our mountain, I see several fires burning. Sometimes I just see the smoke rising high above the mountains. Other times I can see the flames leaping, consuming everything in their path. I can hear the crackling of the dry brush. A haze hangs over the valley in which Tegucigalpa sits.

Last weekend, fourteen people lost their lives in the fires. I am sure homes are being destroyed and untold damage being done. The paper reports more respiratory illnesses than normal, even during the dry season.

Please pray that this fire season soon comes to an end.

Terri

No comments: